The nine stores will be closed by June 13, according to Kris Staaf, regional spokeswoman for Safeway.
“This was a very difficult decision made after long and careful deliberation,” Staaf said on Saturday.
Safeway officials have been evaluating operations at the stores extensively while considering ways to improve performance for more than a year.
“Ultimately, our business analysis indicated that we needed to cease operations at these locations,” Staaf said.
The bottom line was that the stores were not profitable, she added.
Safeway will make every effort to place store employees affected by the closures at other area Safeway supermarkets, she said.
Safeway stores will be closed at the following locations:
• 560 Castle Pines Parkway, Castle Rock.
• 3904 E. 120th Ave, Thornton.
• 12900 Zuni, Westminster.
• 16921 E. Quincy Ave, Aurora.
• 22675 E. Aurora Parkway, Aurora.
• 1955 S. Sheridan Blvd., Denver.
• 7500 S. Pierce Street, Littleton.
• 1730 S. Buckley Road, Aurora.
• 8200 S. Quebec, Centennial.